Obsidian

 


The King of Mysteries is guarding my soul.

     When tectonic plates overlap, the groove between them becomes a channel for lava and a mountain rises where they collide: a volcano. The lava from eruptions cools into a variety of stones, including the black volcanic glass called obsidian. Theoretically, obsidian could form crystals, but the process of liquid turning solid is too fast for it to form anything other than amorphous masses, since it is flung from the fiery depths of the earth into the cold air and freezes almost instantly. Obsidian, as black as night, is born from the very core of the earth, which human eyes have never seen, yet which the earth would be very still without. 

     Black does not always mean pain, darkness, death, and evil. I see it as intrigue. God calls us forward into the unknown, following His voice and searching for Him in the darkness. The black of obsidian is like the backs of closed eyes while anticipating a promised surprise; the pitch if the lightless ocean trenches, which seem to have no end; the voidous space between heavenly bodies, without air or light or life. Every mystery is known only by God until we solve it; He created us with curious and investigative minds. But no matter how technology progresses, the King of Mysteries is the one riddle that cannot be solved.


"Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: 

He was manifested in the flesh, 

vindicated by the Spirit, 

seen by angels, 

proclaimed among the nations, 

believed on in the world, 

taken up in glory."

1 Timothy 3:16


     This is the mystery that we will never know in full, until He takes His people up and holds us close to His chest. At the end of this world's time, all those who seek Him in this short life will live in His Kingdom, in Heaven, for all of eternity. There, recreated and resurrected by His glory, the fullness of His light will be known by us all. Following God, I am awed by Him and all He's done; I can't help but sing His praises!


"I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Colossians 1:25-27


"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should."

Colossians 4:2-4


     Meditate on the Lord and study His Word, seeking to know ever more of His great, unknowable majesty. Strive to be more like Him as you learn more and more what Hie ways are. Amen.


     "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 3:8-14

Comments