Seraphinite

 

The God of angel armies is always by my side.

     Found only in Siberia, Russia, seraphinite is a unique variety of clinochlore, with a complex chemical structure of magnesium iron silicate hydroxide. Clinochlore is one of many minerals called chlorites, which usually form due to metamorphic and hydrothermal alterations of iron and magnesium silicate in the earth's crust. Most of these minerals are green, which is why the name includes chlore, derived from the Greek word for green. Due to its rarity, seraphinite is more expensive than other semiprecious stones, and is only 2-2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale, so it should be stored with care.

     Seraphinite is named after seraphim, angels of God which are described as six winged beings which fly around the throne of God, praising His name, because of the feathery flashes of white within the dark green crystals. Theologians have described seraphim as beings of fire, in the constant moving upwards towards God, the heat and power to burn and to pierce all things with heat and purify, and the brightness and light and radiance of fire, signifying that these angels have in themselves an inextinguishable light from God.

     At the dollar store recently, I saw candles being sold as altar candles to light in honor of one's "guardian angel," as well as ones for Gabriel and other angels mentioned in the Bible. There is nothing biblical about the myth of individual angels watching over each person. It is true that God sends His angels to save and protect us:


"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High 

 will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. 

I will say to the LORD,

 “My refuge and my fortress,

 my God, in whom I trust.” 


For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler

 and from the deadly pestilence. 

He will cover you with his pinions,

 and under his wings you will find refuge;

 his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. 

You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,

 nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. 


A thousand may fall at your side,

 ten thousand at your right hand,

 but it will not come near you. 

You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. 

Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place—

 the Most High, who is my refuge—

 no evil shall be allowed to befall you,

 no plague come near your tent. 


For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. 

On their hands they will bear you up,

 lest you strike your foot against a stone. 

You will tread on the lion and the adder;

 the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot. 


“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; 

 I will protect him,

 because he knows my name. 

When he calls to me, I will answer him;

 I will be with him in trouble;

 I will rescue him and honor him. 

With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

Psalm 91


     "The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them."

Psalm 34:7

     But when humans worship angels, they rebuke us every time, because God us the One that they worship as well as us, which we see clearly in Revelation 19:10. "Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." The fact is, angels are not who we should look to for protection, because they were also created by God like us, and we are placed above them even, because unlike angels, God made us in His image and ca e us free will. God calls us His children, and the angels follow His commandments to protect us. Thus, we should worship God alone and seek a connection with Him rather than His angels. After all, we have a personal and intimate connection to the King of Heaven; why would we follow His servants instead? We can speak to Him at any time with our requests, and trust in His good and righteous orders.

     "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

John 10:27-30


"The salvation of the righteous is from the LORD;

 he is their stronghold in the time of trouble. 

The LORD helps them and delivers them;

 he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,

 because they take refuge in him."

Psalm 37:39-40

     Through the Holy Spirit which lives in us, God's followers, we are always protected. As you look at the feathery crystals within deep green seraphinite, remember the grace and holiness of the One who holds you in His hands, and allow His Spirit to work in your heart and life.



Comments