Green Calcite

 

I worship the Lord in the simple joys of life.

     Calcite is an extremely common carbonate mineral, one of the most common minerals on the planet. But it's not often found in good quality specimens, with clarity or color. Green calcite is created by calcite forming with chlorite dispersed throughout it, whether in trigonal crystals or bands of paler and darker green. The shade of green is determined by how much chlorite is in the crystal and what other minerals may be present, from yellow green to a pale "pistachio." 


     As I continue on the slow journey of recovering from trauma, I've realized that my favorite color has shifted from neon green and black, like it was before, to the pale green of aventurine, prehnite and green calcite. I'm no longer drawn to vibrant colors and loud contrasts, preferring instead gentle and peaceful hues. Pastel green is the color of the early shoots of spring, tiny lavender and chickeed sprouts which promise to grow into delightful and medicinal plants, a promise of future healing. 


    Looking back, sometimes, it's kind of surprising that I'm alive still today. My darkest times were darker than anyone should have to go through. But over the past three years since I returned to Christ, I've been transfigured in a miraculous way: now I've regained my parents trust, been diagnosed with and am receiving treatment for my various ailments, and I've come to finally consider myself mostly mentally stable. I live in peace that I never knew before.


     "In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

Psalm 4:8


     This wisdom did not come from me- I could not make this up. It is only through my connection with God that I have been emotionally healed. Every good thing in life is a gift from Him, from the most basic to the most miraculous. And when we thank Him for each of these things, building a habit of thinking of Him each time we see a beautiful thing, our lives are lit up. Thankfulness and love and mindfulness of His love help us to connect deeper with Him, and when you are looking for the ways in which He has blessed you, you will find that He is always providing for and guiding us.


     "But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah."

Psalm 3:3-4


     Purposefully and intentionally bringing light into our lives, by focusing our attention on His gifts in all hours of the day, refreshes and nourishes our spirits. Living in the city and online constantly distracts and depresses us, so I've found that spending time in nature, thanking God for His creation and everything good in life, becomes a meditative spiritual activity that brings simple joy into life.

Comments